Wednesday, October 30, 2013

First night at the hotel

After a short rest at Emily's home stay, where I met her house sister and father, she drove me to the hotel, which was not such an easy place to find. 
Emily thought she knew where she was going but unfortunately we kept getting turned around.  Finally we discovered that we had made a wrong turn at the get go. When we did turn around we were able to find it.  The rental car was giving us some trouble so in the midst of being lost, and Emily now late for her dance rehearsal, Emily called the car company and told them they needed to come to the hotel to collect the car.  It's always something, no matter where in the world you are.

I was given a nice room in the back of the hotel with a great view of the mountain.  Here you can see my first sunset.  My windows are dirty and I couldn't open them to get my camera outside.

I was happy to be in my room and unpack my things.  It's a very long journey to get to Africa.
I had a small dinner and then to bed around 10 p.m.

This was my small dinner.  A salmon appetizer with potato croquettes, a small salad in the background, and a vodka martini--all for $10.00.  The service people are very nice and must have asked me 15 times if everything was o.k.  
 I was able to sleep very well and slept until 9:00 a.m.

A new day but not such nice weather.   After a lovely breakfast, I took the hotel shuttle to the waterfront.  This is the entrance to one of the malls where I was dropped off.
I was trying to walk through the mall to get to the city information booth when I was stopped by these overzealous Israeli's, who saw a customer in me after I, of course, complimented her (the one on the right) on her hamsa necklace. 


She was insistent on me buying her nail product box filled with a nail buffer, cuticle oil, and a nail file (which Emily insists she already bought me for Hannukkah one year from the Paseo Nuevo Israeli booth). I ended up being swindled into buying it, but ce' la vie I'll have nice cuticles for the rest of the trip! 
This is a celeb appearance from Emily, checking in from the hotel while the Digital Diva showers and pampers herself. We're going to dinner tonight at my house here and my host mom is cooking dinner (I think she wants to show off her cooking skills and prove she hasn't starved me). I'm staying in the hotel with my mom tonight to get a bit of a luxurious nights sleep whilst in the midst of final exams. Exams are really stressful in Africa, if any of you DD followers were wondering. My social justice and inequality exam today was worth 60% of my grade so if I fail that, I fail the class. Let's hope I didn't fail and knew enough about the changing economic and occupational structure in global cities from post-industrialization through the lens of professionalization and social polarization thesis. Sounds riveting huh... Okay we're off to dinner now! Enjoy following my mom for the rest of her trip.--Emily


The Cape Town waterfront is extremely touristy, which also means safe.  The above photo was taken with a new filter on my new Olympus OMD-5.  I was able to spend 3 hours walking around.  I saw these four men, who are from Kenya, perform acrobatics.  One of them asked if I spoke Spanish, and then proceeded to talk to me in Spanish.  I was able to answer him in Spanish.  That was funny.  



I asked if I could take their photo and there were more than happy to comply.











After my little photo shoot with the boys I ventured into the Craft Market and found this man trying to teach 3 boys how to use African sticks.
DD says, always be prepared with yours camera.

Still a bit groggy from the flight not much looked interesting to me except the products created from tea bags that are sent from around the world and repurposed as art.  This woman is one of 8 artists, from a close by township, who make and sell many different products made from teabags.  They love to receive bags so if you are a tea drinker start saving.


My last stop was to see if I could book a seat on the boat to Robben Island for later in the week.  I loved this sign that shows how far different places in the world are from Cape Town.

Enough for one day.  More tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Love your post and of course your Photography! I would like to know why that boy is so unhappy, on second thought maybe I should not know. And a big HELLO, to your guest blogger, Emily!

    ReplyDelete