Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Tuesday--Penguins and the southern most point of South Africa

How many of you bet we wouldn't make the 8:30 a.m. breakfast.  Most of you are right.  I did get there around 8:45 and Emily stolled in around 9:30 a.m.  Guess what there were people much later and yes they stayed until close to 10:00.  Oh well.   It was quite lovely this morning and we were able to sit on the balcony with a fabulous view.  

The plan of the morning was to go see the penquins.  Emily had wanted a "chill" beach day but the weather wasn't really in her favor.  It wasn't raining but it wasn't beach weather and a previous engagement meant Emily was going back into town after lunch.  
On our walk to the penguin beach we came across a new way to travel

Emily was surprised at the size of the penguins saying that she thought they would be bigger.  From my point of view the Penguin beach was a bust.  There were more tourists than Penguins.  Of course I am spoiled after being in South America but it's definitely more enjoyable to see animals in the wild and not caged.  

Our visit with the Penguins was not too long and that was about all there was to do in Simon's Town.  Emily suggested we drive to Kalk Bay and walk around the shops and then she would take the train back to town from there. 
Kalk Bay has more character than Simon's Town with shops of local goods, clothing and art galleries.  We found a nice little restaurant across the street from the sea, Tri Bakery, where we shared a lovely lunch.


Quite convienently located across the street from the station, we walked across the road so Emily could catch the 12:25 back to Plumstead.

I said goodbye, got back in the car and headed to Cape Point National Park.  A peaceful drive, maybe 20 minutes along the coast to arrive at the entrance to the park. 
The entrance fee was less than $10.00.  
What I was so amazed with was the vast amounts of protea fields.  Unfortunately it wasn't the best time to be taking photos but I did the best I could given the situation.  This is the season for proteas to bloom.  There were also fields of white flowers, not sure what they are, and other wild flowers as well.  So gorgeous.  I stopped many times along the road.

I drove for maybe half an hour before I arrived at the turn for Cape of Good Hope.  There seems to be a backup with the cars in the road when I discovered it was because of the baboons.  I had seen the signs on the road to be aware of baboons in the road but didn't really take much heed.  Then I was laughing when I saw them.  They apparently are quite a nuisence.  They jump on your car, which I found quite entertaining.
I thought this was such a sweet moment.

When I arrived at the "cape of good hope" official sign I was swept into the sea of tourists.  They were lining up to take their photos behind the sign.  I said to myself, "this is why I don't take bus tours."

Nature is amazing and I was in awe of what I was viewing.  Now I have been to both Cape Horn and Cape of Good Hope, bucket list, check.  I did learn though that this is not where the Indian and Atlantic oceans meet.  There is another place several hours away Cape Agulhas where they actually meet.  I won't be going there this trip.

 From Cape of Good Hope it was a short drive to Cape Point.  I was unable to walk to the light house as it would have taken 1 1/2 hours and I didn't have the time.  I was happy to be there and take in the view.
On my return trip I found more Baboons on the road.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, your personality and humor shine well as your amazing photography! Your account of your journey takes me out of my space here in SB for a few stolen moments. xoxo, Patrice